Linguistics Forum
LINGUISTICS Forum Index » Morphology Forum » Phonological Conditioning?
The time now is Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:45 am

Reply to topic

View previous topic :: View next topic
blub
Linguist

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:59 pm
Post subject: Phonological Conditioning?

Hi everyone Smile
Could anyone explain to me what phonological conditioning is (if there is allomorphy, this may be the case, right!?)? The internet, unfortunately, hasn't been much help in making me understand it :/
and what is a phonological effect (to the stem of a noun, e.g. when a suffix is added)?
Thanks a lot for your help!! Smile
Lobo
Good Linguist

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:21 pm
Post subject:

Allomorphy might be conditioned morphologically or phonologically. A typical example of morphological conditioning is the past tense of the verb to be: I was, but you were. A typical example of phonological conditioning is the past tense of irregular verbs: I love+[d] and I play+[d], but I like+[t] and I invent[ɪd]. Any clearer? Smile
blub
Linguist

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:46 pm
Post subject:

So... phonological conditioning is all about the change of the sound of the suffix??
Lobo
Good Linguist

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:51 pm
Post subject:

blub wrote: So... phonological conditioning is all about the change of the sound of the suffix??

Allomorphy is always about changing the sound of a morpheme, be it conditioned phonologically or morphologically. Phonological conditioning is about changing the sound because of its phonological context, while morphological conditioning is about other other reasons.

Just like in the example above example, you have a morpheme /d/ "past" change to /t/ if following a voiceless obstruent or to /ɪd/ if following an alveolar plosive.
Dr.Htein Win

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:31 am
Post subject: Morphology

Phonetheme is one of the phonological conditions in Morphology. Phonetheme can change the meaning of words. In Myanmar linguistic literature, kyaw Aung San thar Sayadaw found phonetheme over 100 year ago. for example: pja pja is a kind of minimizers in colors of Myanmar Language.' hmai pja pja'